Different checksum from an original PlayStation Disc with CDDA tracks

Naitoraven951

Hello to everyone.

I'm using imgburn for a long time and I never have problem with it. Simple and really reliable for burning or creating disc image.

My problem is with a game disc for PlayStation - Tomb Raider 1 (American version 1.0 - SLUS-00152).

I need to create a disc image with a correct checksum... and here's why.

Me and my team we translate this game on italian. And we need a correct disc image checksum for create a correct patch!

I've a lot of cd readers and burners, but my favourite ones (and I still used it for authoring copies and etc....) are two Plextor (respectively: PX-W1210 and PX-W4012) and a Yamaha SCSI CRW8424S (which not work as SCSI peripheral - it stucks after reading the first data track).

The disc is mint and is scanned with Nero Discspeed (no damaged sector), but I've dumped the original ISO with these two Plextor and I've two different checksum.

Is a issue with CDDA tracks or mine?
Thank you

Here's a pic:

Any help is appreciated!

checksum.png

Cdda is a pain for this type of thing. Drives have different read / write offsets for audio and so although it’s vaguely the same actual data (well, audio samples), it will be some offset by so many bytes. If you’re patching stuff, you’d be better off working with just the data track and keeping the audio tracks separate. That isn’t something ImgBurn can help you with though.

CDDA is stored differently than normal data. The drive reads it in a special mode and due to the way the data is stored it is easy to have undetectable read errors. On top of that, different drives exhibit different reading offsets in this mode. Though the two drives you listed should have identical offset of +98, unless that PX-W1210 is PX-W1210A, which has an offset of +99.

Reading PS 1 games can be a real hit or miss affair.  Not all were manufactured the same way.  Some used mixed mode with data and audio tracks.  Some used purely data.

ImgBurn also has difficulties with some PS 1 discs and reading hardware combinations.  You might want to try using Alcohol 120% to read to an image file and see if you get a checksum that matches after that.

Hello, thank you all for the response !
We found a solution to apply the patch to all PS1 version.

22 hours ago, khagaroth said:

CDDA is stored differently than normal data. The drive reads it in a special mode and due to the way the data is stored it is easy to have undetectable read errors. On top of that, different drives exhibit different reading offsets in this mode. Though the two drives you listed should have identical offset of +98, unless that PX-W1210 is PX-W1210A, which has an offset of +99.

Yeah, I noticed that. Always different checksum-- and that offset cannot be change!

It's hard to dump these CDDA track with a correct checksum. I noticed with disc image creator, there a no mismatch between mines Plextor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.