Dreamcast CD burning Invalid Field in parameter list

Maztr_0n

i was excited to get some CD-Rs today to burn some rare/obscure dreamcast games onto, so i tried the infamous Spirit of Speed 1937 and it would always stop around sector 80400 or so and give me an error, i also notice the "buffer" bar starts to go down slowly before this happens, why is this happening? 

ImgBurn.log

It's as I suspected.  This is most likely your culprit:

I 23:47:45 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f, CMC Magnetics Corp.)

CMC Magnetics makes the worst optical discs out there.  More than half the problems we see on this board are caused by CMC media and usually go away when you switch to quality media.

You probably got the Verbatim Life Series CD-R in a brick and mortar store?  Those are CMC's.  You'll want the DataLife Plus Series, also labeled as AZO, which you generally mostly only find in online store like Amazon.com.

The ironic thing is Verbatim sells both the high quality Mitsubishi media and the low quality CMC media.  Even more ironic?  CMC OWNS Verbatim!

I've never had those in the first link before.  They say AZO so they should be the good stuff.

I have had those in the 2nd link before, those DataLife Plus ones.  They are the good ones.  Or, well, rather, they were the last time I ordered them, which was some years ago.

well i'd hope so, i dont think i've ever had disc drive problems before. Also a different program reacted similarly to another disc from the same batch, still didnt think it worked properly when i put it into the dreamcast, but perhaps the varied results in each disc means something

• 2 weeks later...

okay i'll try, i've got different 50 discs now, i can spare some duds now

On 12/19/2023 at 12:24 AM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

I very much doubt 'Test Mode' will work if you're trying to burn an image like this (multi-session).

Can you post the log from a burn where 'Test Mode' isn't used? It would probably give a different error.

okay so heres my log, these are datalifeplus discs.
first was test mode which failed
and then without it 

it seemed to work just fine! sometimes buffer went to 0 but then it synchronized apparently and worked fine again! verify confirmed it had no errors so (sadly my console is away and in need of repair) but i'd say this has got to be a success!

ImgBurn2.log

There are other benefits to switching to AZO/DataLife Plus away from CMC.  Even if you get CMC's to work in your drive and they burn, verify, and play okay, they will most likely become unreadable far sooner than the AZO/DataLife Plus ones.  So, one of the benefits of the more expensive quality media is that they will generally last longer.  I've only ever had 1 MKM DVD+R DL from Verbatim die on me after it successfully burned, verified, and played.

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

okay so heres my log, these are datalifeplus discs.
first was test mode which failed
and then without it 

it seemed to work just fine! sometimes buffer went to 0 but then it synchronized apparently and worked fine again! verify confirmed it had no errors so (sadly my console is away and in need of repair) but i'd say this has got to be a success!

ImgBurn2.log 18.6 kB · 0 downloads

I've never tried Test mode, so I can't say how accurate it is.  However, I believe LUK has said the Test mode is only an emulation of the actual Write mode, so it may return false negatives.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.