File type changed after burning to BD-R

Rube_Klopek

Sorry, but I have no log, so :chair:.

I searched the forums, but could not find answer to this.

I burned two MPEG-4 video files in a MKV container to BD-R.  One file ended in .2000 and the other in .1997_mpeg4.  After burning, their file types were changed to .2000 and .1997_mpeg4.  I could still play them in VLC, but they weren't visible when I tried to play with Standalone player.  I know I have burned other files like this to BD-R, but they weren't changed.

Is there a setting in Imgburn that I may have changed that caused this to happen?

Thanks.

No, ImgBurn would not have made any changes to file extensions.  If they were .MKV files, ImgBurn wouldn't make random and apparently arbitrary extension name changes like .2000 and .1997_mpeg4.

Given that, I can't think why ANYTHING would do that.

If this BD-R was burned recently, the ImgBurn.log file might still contain the necessary info from that write.  Under Help, choose ImgBurn logs and open the .LOG file from the folder that opens.  Check the log file and see if there's any results from this BD-R burn in question.

I should have explained better.  .2000 and .1997_mpeg4 were at the end of the file name of the original files.

Here is what the before and after burning look like.

Top is from file explorer and bottom is from the BD-R.

Thanks

file changed.JPG

file changed1.JPG

I've no idea why you have VLC icons associated with those files in the top screenshot.  They are not standard extensions of audio or video containers.  The screenshot at the bottom is what you should always be seeing.  Unless those files actually have the extension of .MKV after them.  So, the top file is actually called file.2000.MKV.  That would explain why the top screenshot says they are MKV files.  Why the file extensions aren't visible in the top screenshot, I couldn't say.  And why the .MKV extension would not be present on the BD-R also has no explanation.  There are no settings that would cause a file extension not to be saved on an ImgBurn burned disc and no settings to rename files unless the file names exceed 256 characters, based on the file system setting you choose.

It COULD be "fixed" if you selected the UDF 2.60 File System, but that is pure speculation.  Particularly without knowing what File System you originally burned the BD-R with.

I just did a quick test on a dummy file with several dots in its name. Outputting to ISO and then mounting with Explorer.

I was unable to reproduce the problem here of the extension getting lost.

I tried with Joliet, UDF 1.02 and 2.60.

Please post the build / burn log.

Build 2.5.8.0

They are mkv files.  Hide extensions for known file types is checked.

I tried to reproduce it by creating the same layout and burning to DVD+RW. I have no BD-RE

I tried UDF, ISO9600+UDF, ISO9660 + Joliet +UDF at UDF1.02 which it is always set.

I couldn't reproduce it. 

The log from Help>ImgBurn logs is rather large and  I looked through it, there are no errors and all operations successfully completed but it appears some of log is missing.

If log is a must, I'll copy the relevant day and include it when I get off work.

Thanks.

The only way I can see this happening is if you use the 'Disc Layout Editor' to change the name of the files and manually remove the '.mkv' file extension from the file.

If that's the case, I'm afraid it's user error.

The DLE shows the full name (name inc. file extension) of the file as it'll be written on the disc. If your OS is then configured to hide extensions, it'll hide the last 'dot' and anything beyond of whatever the full name is.

So, with 'show file extensions' disabled in Explorer, it might display a file names as 'name1.name2.name3'.

ImgBurn's DLE window would show 'name1.name2.name3.ext' once added to the compilation.

Once burnt and viewed back in Explorer, you'll just see 'name1.name2.name3' again.

If you edit the name in the DLE window and remove the '.ext', you're essentially turning '.name3' into the new file extension.

Explorer will then only show 'name1.name2'.

Oh, that explains why the extensions were missing.  What this doesn't explain is how the files not a BD-R can play in VLC when you double click on them but the files on the BD-R do not.  That would be almost as if the .MKV extension WERE missing from the files on the BD-R.

I don't think I renamed them in the DLE, but it is possible.  I don't know why I would do that, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Either way, I was able to burn all files to disc without error.

Thanks for help.

4 minutes ago, dbminter said:

Oh, that explains why the extensions were missing.  What this doesn't explain is how the files not a BD-R can play in VLC when you double click on them but the files on the BD-R do not.  That would be almost as if the .MKV extension WERE missing from the files on the BD-R.

They do play on the BD-R, you just have to select what app to open them with.  What they don't do is show in the playlist when the BD-R is in my standalone player.

Being on BD-R shouldn't matter as to what app opens the files.  Unless the files on the BD-R do have a different extension and you were asked what to open these "new" file types with.

And your standalone player not showing the files also makes me think the files have a different extension on them on BD-R.  One way to check and make sure is to open a Command Prompt and do a DIR on the BD-R drive contents to make sure the files still have their proper extension on them.

The whole reason for this thread is that the files on the disc don't have the file extension they started out with.

The original 'mkv' file extension has been lost and they've taken on a new one based on what's after the last dot/period in the file name.

This post showed what the disc looks like in Explorer...

I created the same layout and wrote it to an ISO and then mounted it in explorer.  I created the layout in every way I think I would have. File system UFD > ISO9660 +UDF    >ISO9660+Joliet+UDF.  I couldn't reproduce it.  The only way I could reproduce  was to edit the name in the DLE as LIGHTNING UK! said it would.

I must have done that with both files.

That being said, I think we can call this issue solved.

Do you concur LIGHTNING UK?

Thanks all for your assistance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.