Incompatible Format

SGSeeker

Everything was fine with my TYG03 Media on a Pioneer 111L drive with 8.29 firmware. I've burned some sony dvd-rw's fine yesterday, so I'm not sure whats up. Between my last TY burn and the latest, I had my LiteOn drive plugged in to do some quality scans. After switching back, ImgBurn doesn't 100% switch to dvd-mode after I select an image (speed listings are still shown for cd-r's - 56x max, details box shows that the software knows thats its a dvd-r though with 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x write speeds) on either my TY or Ritek media. Here's the thing...Nero still works 100% without error and the discs play fine. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ImgBurn with no success. Ideas?

Was this something recent? I'm fairly certain that didn't used to be the case. I had some old media that only gave me 1x/2x in the drop down menu. Perhaps it was another small program I'm thinking of. Still doesn't explain my failing burn though (after the first coaster, tried a couple different things and another image in test mode. Same failures.).

Nope, it always displayed the full list :)

About your problem, could you describe it? Also, please post the log from those bad burns (they're automatically saved and acessible in Help/ImgBurn logs).

I 15:07:38 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 15:07:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:07:38 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,620 KB - Available: 1,592,284 KB

I 15:07:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:07:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:07:39 Found 1 DVD

I've tried switching to aspi with no luck. Uninstalling/reinstalling IDE controller driver, no luck. I just can't seem to get my Pioneer drive working again with ImgBurn after having the LiteOn 20a1h hooked up (Shuttle computer, only room for one drive at a time) for scanning.

edit:

2x seems to work in ImgBurn, but nothing higher. These TY discs are best burned at 8x on my drive though...

Edited by SGSeeker

You should leave I/O Interface as SPTI (default setting), as ASPI is only useful for people who can't use SPTI. Also, this problem is completely unrelated to the use of another burner before, as ImgBurn always gets the current configuration.

ImgBurn can't force any burner to write at a specific speed: it'll send the command for the speed you've selected but it's up to the burner to obey or not. Most buners will use the closest available speed to what you've selected, and, in your case, it's 4x.

I 15:08:45 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: TYG03) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

Has your burner seen a lot of use? Maybe you could try some cleaning kit on it.

Its seen about 25 dvd burns, no cd burns, and still works fine in Nero at 16x. Haven't had the best experience in Nero for a few years, scan quality included, so I'd like to skip it but if I can't get this software working again, it'll have to do.

If the drive is erroring out with a 'Write Error' error message, you can really only take it at face value - the drive failed to burn that/those sectors on the disc.

Quite why that is, is anyone's guess!

Try a few more and if you keep having the same problem, try switching the 'Write Type' in the setting to 'Packet / Incremental'.

I'm not sure what changed, but yesterday I scanned a burned disc at 2x and near the end PI problems spikes near the end of the disc and locked up the system. After a reboot, the system kept turning itself off after a few minutes inside windows (not overheating of power supply problem(voltmeter) though...weird. Memtest86 checks out fine also.). A 3rd or 4th reboot, the system started working correctly again and now I can burn at 16x without a problem? Not getting any hard drive corruption either, so I'm not sure whats up, but its working again. *shrugs*

Doing a few more test burns to see if I can get it to fail again. I now have three TY Watershield coasters though...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.