Burns not using all of disk

zebsdad

Here's what I do:

1. Record to -RW a movie from TV on LP (4hrs). Panasonic DMR ES15. Movie is over 2 hrs. Finalize disk.

2. Copy disk to HDD with DVD Copy 1.0.27

3. Remove Commercials with Video ReDo. Output as elementary streams.

4. Author edited movie with DVD AuthorGUI. Output is Vidio_TS and Audio_TS folders.

5. Burn TS folder with IMG Burn 2.3.2.0 to -R output is DVD Video.

All this works great. Question: Why does it burn using only half of the disk space on the -R disk?

Using Pioneer model 112D with latest firmware, XP Pro SP2 +all updates.

Because the files created with DVD Author GUI is only enough data to fill up half a disc...don't think in terms of hours (LP, SLP etc.) think in terms of size and bitrate.

Record to -RW a movie from TV on LP (4hrs). Panasonic DMR ES15. Movie is over 2 hrs. Finalize disk.

If you are doing this you obviously do not own the intellectual rights to the movie. Please do not post :pirate: pirating :pirate: information on this site.

Ah now this is something I have never been clear on either. I have always assumed that if I record Dr Who episodes for e.g. onto my DVD recorder that is ok as long as I only use them for my own viewing.

What about TV episodes downloaded from the internet ? These have been broadcast so is it ok for me to d/l and burn those to disc ?

Apparently its technically illegal to record any TV program in the UK. So d/l programs which shouldn't have been recorded in the first place is probably just as bad.

Before looking I thought that any program broadcast on free to air TV would go into the public domain, but not the music which is copyright for 50 years.

Well spotted lfc :thumbup:

What about TV episodes downloaded from the internet ? These have been broadcast so is it ok for me to d/l and burn those to disc ?

I would guess this is also illegal. At least here in Australia anyways. The only exception I can think of would involve DRM of some sort to stop the tv show in question being distributed via torrents or whatever. Also, some tv shows are shown on cable/satellite months before free-to-air. I suspect these shows would be allowed to be recorded for personal use but distribution would also be prohibited. Dunno. I'm not a lawyer. :)

I'm sure you're ok to tape stuff from the TV?!... unless it's on 'Sky Box Office' or something, where I'm sure they prevent you from doing such things.

Actually, how does this void the owner's copyright - just cos you taped it off the TV? My understanding of this is the copyright is still in place and therefore I'm with spinner on this one. There may be allowances regarding timeshifting but typically these require destruction of the material.

And just cos something is broadcast doesn't place it in the public domain. The copyright holder still has all his rights intact.

Regards

NOTHING is free in the UK :rolleyes:

the "free to air" channels are not actually free , the law that determines there not free is ;

if you have a television or a monitor that is capable of "receiving" TV broadcasts you MUST have a TV license ...........

or we will make you watch the late night repeat show of eastenders for a month !!!

Im not sure( in the UK ) that if you buy a TV card for your PC that the seller has to take your name and address now and pass it on to the TV licensing authority

regarding time shifting, in the UK, you DO need a tv license for this as its still been broadcast and so is covered by the Tv license law, so sadly, its not free

Im going to guess that a downloaded TV show will be governed by the law of the country it was first broadcast in, so some form of copywrite will exist. after all if you get a series of a show that hasent been aired in your country yet , The TV company that has the right to air it in your country would have paid a lot of money for that right.

I still think it's ok to tape from the tv if it's for your own use and not to make a profit.

If I taped lastnights episode of Hollyoaks because I wanted to go meet some mates down the pub, I don't think anyone would complain. If the copyright holder doesn't care that I taped it to watch later on, it can't be illegal.

I guess that comes under the whole 'timeshifting' thing.

http://www.innermind.com/myguides/misc/faqtrade.htm

I guess that with a movie, although it's really only 'extreme timeshifting' if you burn to DVD-R or whatever, you're basically doing the copyright holder out of the money you would have paid to buy the film on a commercial DVD (even if it's not one you would have actually paid for). As such, I really wouldn't like to say either way if it's ok or not.

:D

As you say LUK! it doesn't seem to matter whats recorded off TV as the copyright holders not going to do anything...

'Extreme timeshifting'? Now theres a thought, be interesting if anyone used that as a defence.

It looks to me they have avoided overhauling copyright law because its a can of worms, but soon, I think, the law will be overtaken by events and sidelined.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.