Reading graphs...

burf

I just bought a new burner (Pioneer 112D), and as I look at the graphs, they're very jagged.

I would expect something more smooth, but of course, I really haven't any idea.

I'm just getting a sense that something's not right.

So, I was wondering if someone could take a look at the graph of a burn, & PiPo scan, & give me an idea, if all's cool, or if there are any problems?

Or if not, does anyone know a forum, where I could post these graphs, and get feedback on them?

I'd like to know, so I can exchange the drive, if there's a problem.

Thanks so much for any help!!

post-8107-1187483393_thumb.png

post-8107-1187486130_thumb.png

Pioneers are notably some of the worst scanning drives there are and the data that comes from DVDInfoPro or CD Speed should really be taken with a grain of salt...your QS of 86% would probably much higher using another drive such as Lite-On, Samsung, NEC or BenQ. If your firmware is current and your are quality discs, which you are, the results you are getting should be just fine.

The one on the left looks bad because you seem to be using your PC for some heavy duty tasks during the burn - i.e. the CPU usage is very high.

Leave the machine alone whilst burning and it'll smooth out.

In fact, as the red verify cpu% line goes up as the light blue verify speed line does, I wonder if you've got the drive in the correct DMA mode? Is it on a decent 80 wire cable?

It shouldn't be that taxing on the CPU - well, not unless it's a REALLY old machine anyway!

I actually wasn't doing anything, when I burnt that.

The computer I used is 5+ years old... Athlon XP 1800 (1500 MHz), and 768 MB RAM.

I have my C: drive set to Ultra DMA5, and the burner set to Ultra DMA4... the disk is master, and the burner is slave. The cable is 80-pin & pretty new.

I did another burn this morning, & have attached the graphs.

As a test, this time I disconnected my DSL, and closed my AV & firewall... and closed everything non-essential in task mgr.

They look better, with my very limited knowledge on what to look for.

But I'd still be grateful, if I can get some feedback.

Part of me wants to exchange the drive, either for another one, or the Lite-On I was looking at

(LH-20A1H), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

post-8107-1187537384_thumb.png

post-8107-1187537403_thumb.png

Well if you follow the curve of the graph, if it's already at 80% cpu usage and it's only burning/reading at 12x, by the time it gets to 16x you'd be past 100% - which of course isn't possible!

So I guess the drive wouldn't ever actually reach the full 16x, or at least it wouldn't be able to maintain that speed without the buffers going a bit mad.

The drive itself is fine, don't worry about that.

Thanks Lightning.

I used to burn at 12-16x, when I was using some Verbatim discs, when I first started burning.

Then I realized fast wasn't as important, as quality.

The cpu may be a bit tired... it's worked overtime, over the past few months, as I've been doing a lot of encoding.

A new computer will take care of that.

Thanks again for your help... and for ImgBurn!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.