HDD Defragger Question

Grain

I have a 200gb sata HDD in dire need of defragging. What I noticed is that the worst files/folders are ones in which I have video data. If I defragg., do I risk the chance of losing data from these folders? Or will defragging simply re-arrange the data back into it's proper place? Thanks :thumbup:

Grain, normally defragging just rearranges the files in an more orderly manner to allow more free space and improve computer response. I've defragged lots of time with some files containing iso's and have never lost any info.

Best wait for other replies before doing it though, as the others may have had missing data issues with defragging where as I have not yet..................... :pray::pray:

I have only about 10GB free right now, I'll get it up to 40GB before running. Thanks All!

Plus, that much data expect it to be an all night process so just be aware of that. :thumbup:

You can lose data if Windows restarts/PC shuts off suddenly while a defrag is happening. Now, this data loss actually can be fixed, just not easily, plus, it rarely happens. Depends on the defragger, too. Most should be smart enough to copy first, then delete... but, you never know. Some may just move instead of copy then delete.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.