Computer Hangs when finialising

Ricky

I am using FUJIfilm DVD+R DL discs. Don't have problems with non DL discs. Decrypter burns them o.k., too. The disc burns; however, when it comes to finalising part, computer hangs. I wait 1/2 hour and it still says that it is finalising. When I abort, it tells me to be patient; I have to shut it down with task manager as it won't close. Previous version of Imgburn does o.k. Don't know what the problem is with the old version. Anyone else having this problem. I have already ruined three DL discs.

Finalising is just 1 command that's sent to the drive.

It's then down to the drive to actually perform that process. All ImgBurn does is poll the drive every second to see if it's finished.

When you think it has got stuck, press the F8 key and see if these 'polling' commands are still being sent to the drive.

The program only waits for it to finish (continues polling) if the drive reports any 1 of 3 'status' values - there are LOADS of other it could return if there was a problem, so for it keep polling, the drive really must still be reporting that it's busy finalising the disc.

None of that stuff has been changed.

I saw this same problem a few hours ago. I was testing a DVD+R DL on a Benq DW1650. I aborted the test about halfway through and Imgburn hung (finalizing). Device manager ended imgburn but the DVD drive was inaccessible to any other program due to a device error. Powering down and back up restored everything to normal operation.

With DVD+R DL, it could be very different. The drive will tend to finish off burning what it needs to in order to make the disc 'compatible'. That could end up being a huge chunk of the disc.

In any case, you need to understand that ImgBurn isn't hanging, your drive / the I/O subsystem is.

If the drive never returns either an error or a success, the program continues waiting for one. As soon as it gets such a thing, it'll be fine once again.

I'm just curious - does the ImgBurn finalise polling logic have a counter that eventually says "Ok this finalising isn't going to happen, so time to bail" ?

Reason I ask is I had one old 1GHz P3 machine with Win98 (now out of commission with a dead MoBo battery) that once in a great while would decide not to use the software buffer, using instead only the device buffer when writing. These disks were not real playable, so I learned to just abort when I saw this happening. When you abort, it finalises, and I noticed this would take usually about a half hour or so. I had to finalise because if I stopped ImgBurn, the computer would lock up, requiring a reboot. Anyway, I've always been curious as to whether ImgBurn (and it's predecessor) really did finalise or just aborted the finalise.

No, there is no timeout logic - also, what limit do you put on these things? a 1x burn could take an hour. Most people would have given up by then. It's pretty pointless anyway as even if ImgBurn closes nicely, the drive still won't respond until you reboot.

Drives don't really like stopping mid burn. If you don't issue the correct sequence of commands, you get a 'Command Sequence Error' error! lol

Also, you can put the drive in a state where it won't respond to command, in which case you have to reboot - no two ways about it.

As such, I made it so ImgBurn still performed the normal functions it would do if it were a successful burn.

('Normal functions' are basically just 'Sync Cache' and then one or more of the 'Close Track / Session / Disc' commands. That's it.)

Because there are limits to how much you should burn to a DVD, most of the drives will automatically pad out what you've burnt if it's not up to the lower limit allowed. This is what can seem to take ages.

Some drives are nice and provide a % complete value. Others do not.

I'm always happy to help those that are prepared to listen.

Often it's just not what they want to hear and so all I get in return is abuse! Shame because that then ruins it for other people as I gradually learn to keep my mouth shut, especially when I detect a inhospitable poster.

I'm always happy to help those that are prepared to listen.

Often it's just not what they want to hear and so all I get in return is abuse! Shame because that then ruins it for other people as I gradually learn to keep my mouth shut, especially when I detect a inhospitable poster.

Thanks, Guys, for listening to me and your help. Thanks, Lightning UK, for your help, information, and, mostly, your program. Buy the way, for everyone's information, I changed to Verbatim DL disvs and the hangup has not appeared again. I will stick to Verbatim!!!!!

Ricky

...I changed to Verbatim DL disvs and the hangup has not appeared again. I will stick to Verbatim!!!!!

Ricky

You won't be sorry you made the change. Verbatim's are definitly the way to go for DL discs. TY and Verbatim should be your only choices for DVD5's

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.