Problem erasing CDRW in Windows 7

Meneldur

Hi, everybody.

I've been using ImgBurn since mid-2008 in WinXP SP3 with excellent results. This app rocks.

I installed Windows 7 Beta 7057 last week to satiate my nerd inside. All is functioning perfectly despite one or two minor glitches with certain apps. One of them is ImgBurn 2.4.2.0. Today I couldn't under any circumstance make ImgBurn quick erase a CDRW. I tried even rolling back the SATA channel driver to Microsoft original to no avail (nVidia nForce latest drivers were in place).

But using Windows built-in recording functions worked flawlessly erasing the disc. I then used ImgBurn to burn a couple of files to the now blank CDRW and it worked perfectly. :mellow:

Strange. It couldn't finish erasing the disc but burned it with no problems. The log showed some trouble when trying to erase, though. The process always stalled at 8% and then an ImmediateIO problem was logged (sorry, I erased the log), stating "0/2 tries" or something like that.

I'm using SPTI as I/O driver.

Hi, everybody.

I've been using ImgBurn since mid-2008 in WinXP SP3 with excellent results. This app rocks.

I installed Windows 7 Beta 7057 last week to satiate my nerd inside. All is functioning perfectly despite one or two minor glitches with certain apps. One of them is ImgBurn 2.4.2.0. Today I couldn't under any circumstance make ImgBurn quick erase a CDRW. I tried even rolling back the SATA channel driver to Microsoft original to no avail (nVidia nForce latest drivers were in place).

But using Windows built-in recording functions worked flawlessly erasing the disc. I then used ImgBurn to burn a couple of files to the now blank CDRW and it worked perfectly. :mellow:

Strange. It couldn't finish erasing the disc but burned it with no problems. The log showed some trouble when trying to erase, though. The process always stalled at 8% and then an ImmediateIO problem was logged (sorry, I erased the log), stating "0/2 tries" or something like that.

I'm using SPTI as I/O driver.

Don't forget Win 7 is BETA and bound to have a few problems

If Imgburn works OK in XP, the it has no problems. I run it on both

xp and Vista, all works fine

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have the log here.

I 19:09:06 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:09:06 Media Center Edition (6.1, Build 7057)

I 19:09:06 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,184 KB - Available: 1,903,948 KB

I 19:09:06 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:09:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:09:07 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Meneldur

ImgBurn itself works fine on Windows 7. What seems to be the problem is that the driver is returning bogus/wrong error codes. For example: with Win7's native storage drivers I can't set the booktype on +R media or advanced options for my burner.

To be fair, you have no idea what's happening under the hood.

I very much doubt the internal erase feature was actually any different to the ImgBurn one (i.e. the drive returned the error on both), but ImgBurn tells you about it and perhaps the built in one doesn't / didn't.

If the errors are genuine (and that certainly looks like it is), the software you're using really doesn't make a difference.

Well, Lightning. I don't know if you are talking to me when you say we have no idea of what's going on. If that's so, I do know what's going on inside my rig. <_<

I showed my case clearly.

I inserted a CDRW, launched ImgBurn, tried to erase it. Error.

Changed driver to Windows original (in XP this solved all my problems with nForce chipset and drivers), inserted CDRW, launched ImgBurn, tried to erase. Error.

Closed ImgBurn, fired up Explorer, secondary-click over CDRW, Erase it. Worked.

Launched ImgBurn, created compilation, burned to CDRW. Worked.

I'll try rolling back to nForce drivers and using them to erase CDRW with Windows.

So you know all about the CDB's, Sense Area data and stuff then? Ok, fair enough.

Here's the one Windows 7's erase disc feature sends to the drive:

CDB: a1 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

and here's ImgBurn's one:

CDB: a1 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Now, if you can see a difference between them that I'm missing, please do tell.

Now, if you can see a difference between them that I'm missing, please do tell.

I see none.

Keeping the "irony" flag up, I ask you this. Check the following log:

I 19:09:19 Erasing Disc...

W 19:11:53 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (8%, 0/2) - Erase Failure

E 19:12:01 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Erase Failure

E 19:12:02 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:02:42

If you don't see an error, I'm missing something.

I found the problem. It was in nForce drivers. When (properly) replaced, ImgBurn erased the disc with no glitches. I guess I did something incorrectly between rolling back the driver to MS and retesting ImgBurn.

If you read the thread below, you'll see that most programs don't report errors on CDB's that are told to return control to the program immediately.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=7860

That is what I was getting at in my original post when I said you don't know what's going on under the hood.

Unless you have a program to snoop in on the commands being sent to the drive (and watch what's coming back), you've no way of knowing if it's erroring out or not - and more importantly, if the program sending those commands is then relaying the error to the user.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.