FIRMWARE & BENQ 1650 DRIVE

the olde

Hi

Wondering if anyone has had the same problem on updating the firmware.

I close all virus & other programs, run the benq firware update program and appears to complete & then complete machine lock up! Reboot and it says firmware error, not updated.

However, if you then check firmware version using IMGburn it shows the new version.

Burns ISO ok rating around the 98% mark and plays ok in DVD player.

Tried also in safe mode as thought may be some program running in background, but no same problem.

System OS XP Pro, AMD 3.5 64 etc etc

Cheers :'(

Edited by the olde

I have the BenQ DW1655 but have not seen the same problems as you with updating the firmware. Is yours an OEM version or a Retail version ? I know from when I was looking to buy mine there appear to be two versions and they have different firmwares for each one ?

I think from memory I have only updated it twice so far but both times it went as expected.

Where are you getting the fw updates from ? Is it the BenQ site ? I have downloaded both of mine from the BenQ.com site but you can also get them from www.rpc1.org.

I have the BenQ DW1655 but have not seen the same problems as you with updating the firmware. Is yours an OEM version or a Retail version ? I know from when I was looking to buy mine there appear to be two versions and they have different firmwares for each one ?

I think from memory I have only updated it twice so far but both times it went as expected.

Where are you getting the fw updates from ? Is it the BenQ site ? I have downloaded both of mine from the BenQ.com site but you can also get them from www.rpc1.org.

Hi

Its on OEM unit & the firmware is updated vis the site IMGburn directs me to.

Very strange, also have an NEC drive, get no problems with this however, the benq burns to a higher % :huh:

Ok so it's the OEM unit - presumably the rpc site is directing you to this page then ?

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2223

I might be wrong but a while back I was reading up on this and I think those fw's are for the Retail drives. I am not 100% on this but I think the Retail fw's begin with B and the OEM's have a different letter....

That said I do remember reading a lot of stuff on this and there was considerable conflicting advice - let me see if I can turn it up again. :)

Mmmm - seems that most sites I visited after a google search talk about using the same fw's on the OEM and Retail. :wacko: Sorry to add to your confusion there.....

Thanks

It appears to work ok part from the lock up, quess its just a glitch on my system.

just annoying as you know its not quite right and want to know why!!!!! :wacko:

Assuming you haven't tried this already, I would click below:

http://benq.co.uk/serviceandsupport/downlo...=838&type=B

and download the fwcheck tool to see what fw is currently installed and then try updating (if it will allow you to) with the fw from the BenQ site.

Will try this as soon as get home tonight.

thanks again ;)

The more I think about this the more it sounds familiarm - maybe I read it at another forum - will keep an eye out for you. Let us know what the fw check tool says tonight :wink:

Will do :thumbup:

The more I think about this the more it sounds familiarm - maybe I read it at another forum - will keep an eye out for you. Let us know what the fw check tool says tonight :wink:

Just run it

It says BDHC firmware version

so, i guess its updated ok.

:mellow:

Yeah I am thinking along those lines too - I would have sworn that the OEM's had different fw when I was looking at the two earlier this year.

I didnt think there was much difference between OEM and Retail apart from the lack of cable & or software?

Thought the internals would be the same. :wacko:

Edited by the olde

all the benq 1650's here in the states have come with B firmware,

it would seem Benq abandoned the earlier G distribution oem in europe and with previous models like the 1640/1620

I have been using BCFC since it first came out off the chinese site,

very happy with it.

next you are going to want me to loan you C-3PO to translate the chinese for you

Nah :D But if you have a link for a newer fw for my DW1655 that would be great !!! Currently on BCHB so if you could ask C3P0 to speak to the Chinese for me that would be great !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.