Write completes, Verify passes, Read fails

dbminter

Came across this a week or 2 ago.

I had a burn where the Write completed and the Verify passed with no errors.  I then right afterward tried Reading that disc to an image file but it failed to Read at the layer break.  I wish I had thought about it at the time so I could post an appropriate log section for the actual error.  :doh:

I was just wondering how a disc that passes a burn and a verify can fail at a read.  But, I think I remember something else, though, that paired it down to the drive I was using for the Read.  I tried Reading the disc in the same drive that burned it and it read it just fine.  I just reburned the disc again to test it and it Read file in the LiteOn I was trying to use as the reader before.

Even though it's most likely down to the drive, I still find it rather odd that a disc can pass Write and Verify and then fail at a Read.  :unsure:

I think it might have even been what convinced me to replace my old Lightscribe LiteOn.  But, I don't know if  had already replaced it or not before then.

Read and verify are the same thing. The program is just sending the same 'read' command to the drive for both operations.

It will have only failed to read because you were using a different drive - one that wasn't as good at reading the disc. Some are just better / more forgiving than others.

If I've misunderstood your post and you were reading it in the same drive that verified it ok, maybe it was due to the drive / disc cooling down. The disc could have been borderline unreadable during the verify and 'just' unreadable by the time you tried to read it.

I won't pretend to know how the drive does what it does when it comes to error handling / correction, that's not something software has to worry about. I just issue a 'read' command and the drive either processes it correctly or it errors out.

I didn't know a Verify was just a Read operation.  Good to know!  :wink:

This drive is an older drive.  It's ID string returns it as a possible 2009 model.  It came new with my Dell in 2011.  I never used it.  I removed it and replaced it with one I wanted instead.  So, it sat in a cool room in my old PC case for 3 years before I opted it in.  :)  Only reason I'm using it and not replacing it with something newer is I'm cheap!  :greedy:  :lol:  Plus, I don't want to start trying replacement drive brands until I need to as I no longer trust LiteOn for new drives.  :nea:

If the option is checked, though, a Verify still compares against the image contents, right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.