Error Reaction to Locked File

LT1 Z51

I use ImgBurn to back-up files (including my Music), but iTunes locks access to files (which is fine).  Why does ImgBurn instead of skipping the file and going on with the burn, not only cancel out, but basically trash my disk (as I have no way to restart it and burn the rest of the files).

Is this a settings thing?  A burner standard thing, can I change this?  It's annoying.

What I'd like is for it to skip the "locked" files and then at the end, ask me if I want to leave the disc open (or retry) so I can go unlock the files (by quitting iTunes for example) and then burn them.  Right now it's just frustrating.

ImgBurn isn't designed for what you're using it for and the style in which the drive burns doesn't support simply skipping and then later retrying the skipped files. There are real hdd backup tools for that job.

An unreadable source file doesn't usually immediately cancel anything, you're normally offered a couple of options as to what it should do. If iTunes always causes a problem, just ensure it isn't running or whatever when you perform the backup.

Once the drive starts burning, it expects to keep burning until it has completely finished what you've told it you'll be burning. You can't skip sectors on the disc because the file allocated to those sectors wasn't available at the time - all you could do is fill them with fake data - and the sectors can't then be overwritten (although technically, on a DVD+RW, they could be) if / when the file is readable.

You also have the option of creating an ISO rather than burning on the fly, and then just burn the ISO. Once the ISO has been successfully built, you don't need to worry about individual files being locked by other apps.

Yeah, I was just going to suggest that it sounds like you're burning on the fly instead of creating an ISO first.  If you do the latter, any files in use will prevent the creation of the ISO file from proceeding.  That way, you won't waste discs.  If the ISO creation completes, then you can write the ISO file to a disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.