Drive speed

fpefpe

Hello --- I just set up an external DVD  using the Vantec-DX enclosure and the ASUS DRW-24F1ST drive, The Vantec case is usb 3.0, but when I start imgburn  it is listed as a usb 2.0 device ---  did I miss something here?  does it make a difference  usb 2 or 3?  Thanks 

thanks for the info --- if the  device was a Blu-ray burner  would that make a difference?   

Lastly, as you noted that  MS changed the way usb 3.0 is detechted, if the  usb burned is connected to a usb 3 port, would Imgburn  will the "wites" to it still be 

at usb 3 speed?   

Thanks 

Actually, I believe given how much data is needed to be written to Blu-Ray, you must use a USB 3.0 enclosure for a Blu-Ray drive if you plan to write Blu-Rays to it.  Otherwise, you might get by with a Blu-Ray burner in a USB 2.x enclosure if you plan on only writing CD's and DVD's in it.

The USB speed has nothing to do with how fast any device in an enclosure will write.  Media are capped at specific speeds depending on the media.  Even reads probably wouldn't be faster.  While the USB 3.0 would send data faster, the device is still capped at a maximum speed it can read at.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.