ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 Released!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 rado84

rado84

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I just installed MBAM to check my PC for threats and it found one in the file I least expected - ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 - Setup.exe (I renamed it when I downloaded it on April 2015). :o I'm sure there is no crap in it because I use ImgBurn for quite some time and never had any problems caused by the program but I find it disturbing that many AV programs detect it as a threat called "Open Candy". I even uploaded it to VirusTotal and the detection rate is 24/58. That doesn't mean I'll stop using it.

https://www.virustotal.com/bg/file/a6f9126febec0e18e0b89268d...39c72618f/analysis/1497367525/

The funny thing is this detection appears only on the setup file. I just scanned the ImgBurn install folder and it found no threats.

NSmPtBf.png

#42 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Open Candy isn't a virus.  It's basically nagware that people got so fed up with, AV vendors started flagging it as a PUP, Potentially Unwanted Program.  It just phones home to a server and asks you if you want to install a bunch of extra free crapware you don't want.  It's only contained in older versions of the installer.  I believe it has been removed since there are no more Open Candy servers in use, I think.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users