Maybe add/place VIDEO_TS/VOB burning in the WRITE category?

DudeBoyz

Someone was nice enough to explain about how to use BUILD to create a VIDEO DVD from either a list of VOB files or a VIDEO_TS folder. If they had not, I never would have figured it out because just like an ISO burn, I expected to find it under the WRITE area. I expected to see it there because the files were already created and not in an ISO. So I thought in my mind "If it would be anywhere, it would be in the Tools area under the WRITE mode because that is where the CREATE DVD MDS file" is.

What about adding to the TOOLS menu an option for CREATE DVD VIDEO DISK or something, and then prompt the user to select the existing VOB/IFO/BUP project files or a VIDEO_TS folder containing a compiled DVD Video project that is ready to burn to disk?

Maybe from the SOURCE box there, you could add an icon right next to the BROWSE FOR FILE and QUEUE icons that would say "DVD Project Files or Folder" or something like that? You know, to make it more obvious?

I don't really know all the ins and outs on why it is under the BUILD area, but I assumed (I know, dangerous to do) that because the project was already built, it would seem more logical to put it under the WRITE area, which would also make it more visible because it would be an option right there in the TOOLS menu, spelled out clearly so that folks would know instantly "Hey, that option means make a DVD Video from files on my drive".

Maybe I'm not explaining it well, but I just wanted to get it out there for discussion.

I hope that is ok. Not trying to criticize, just honestly trying to offer a suggestion for maybe making it a bit easier for noobs and folks to grasp.

Thanks - I look forward to some discussion. :)

Edited by DudeBoyz

I could understand your confusion yesterday when we looked at this DudeBoyz.... maybe the boss will have an opinion on this ?

:)

Hope so.

I mean, you don't really have to change anything in the BUILD area if you don't want to, just sorta add a few things to the WRITE area if it wouldn't be too much trouble. All the functionality is already in there, after all, right?

The more I use ImgBurn, the more I learn, the more I appreciate it. :)

Thanks

And thanks again for all that help. I've burned like 8 TV shows from my Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder using ImgBurn. I just copy the VIDEO_TS folders over from my finalized DVD-RW and it works like a charm. I mean, yeah, Nero 6.x can do it fine, but this is free and that is cool. No longer do people who get that cruddy chopped-down version of Nero Express with their burners have to fork out extra cash for the Ultra version just to get to the actual Burning-ROM interface.

Edited by DudeBoyz

The program is called 'ImgBurn'. By the very nature of that, it burns disc images.

If you have a bunch of files, they're NOT an image, hence you have to 'Build' one.

Sorry but it stays as it is.

So a full-on finalized VIDEO_TS folder doesn't count as a Writeable thing?

You know, you really aren't very open to suggestions and criticism. You seem to have a bit of a disdain for people who are simply trying to comment on your product or even simply suggesting things - simple things - like what I mentioned.

You don't have any positive remarks and don't even bother being nice about it. It's like somehow your consumers are just a pain the tail that you look down upon and don't want to deal with.

I don't get it. Why so bitter? I mean, you got a great product that could maybe be a bit easier to use or even become a better product by adding a few things, but you just don't seem open to the idea.

I appreciate your product, but your attitude seems to be kind of stand-offish. :(

I'm very open to good suggestion, I just don't think this is one of them.

Sorry if that upsets you.

I'm guessing you're still bitter from me not wanting to support .DAA files. Well I looked at DAA stuff a long time ago for/with someone and it just wasn't worth the hassle. They can actually be quite complex and so would be much better if you just made an ISO in the first place (if that's even possible) if you intend to burn it with a non DAA supporting tool. The mac has proper tools for converting DAA files to ISO and as they have all the specs, would do a much better job of it than I ever could.

Now back to this topic...

Write mode has, for the past 4 years or so (since DVD Dec days), been for burning ISO files.

You can't just change long standing things because someone doesn't understand what they're doing. Learn the program, read the guides, that's what they're there for.

No, I do not consider any sort of random files as being 'writable' thing.

With an image I just read X amount of data from the image and write it.

When I only have files to work with there's a WHOLE load of other stuff that must be done. The two things are very different (have been implemented as such) and that's why they will not be merged. It would be an absolute mess / nightmare.

Do remember ImgBurn is a free tool. Everything I do (including forum) is done in MY free time. More so than anyone else, I think I have the right to decide what it gets spent on and I certainly don't appreciate people bitching at me because someone (I) told them 'No' - like it's something they'd heard for the first time in their lives.

If it's an easy to implement suggestion and at least vaguely useful to someone other than the person that suggested it, I'll normally do it regardless. If it's going to take a few hours / days, I tend to hum and har a bit over it's TRUE advantages / disadvantages.

The program is called 'ImgBurn'. By the very nature of that, it burns disc images.

If you have a bunch of files, they're NOT an image, hence you have to 'Build' one.

You know, you really aren't very open to suggestions and criticism. You seem to have a bit of a disdain for people who are simply trying to comment on your product or even simply suggesting things - simple things - like what I mentioned.

You don't have any positive remarks and don't even bother being nice about it. It's like somehow your consumers are just a pain the tail that you look down upon and don't want to deal with.

I don't get it. Why so bitter? I mean, you got a great product that could maybe be a bit easier to use or even become a better product by adding a few things, but you just don't seem open to the idea.

I appreciate your product, but your attitude seems to be kind of stand-offish. :(

for a member who has all of 22 posts and joined the forum 5 weeks ago you really have no right to make statements like this, you're way out of line

Do remember ImgBurn is a free tool. Everything I do (including forum) is done in MY free time. More so than anyone else, I think I have the right to decide what it gets spent on and I certainly don't appreciate people bitching at me because someone (I) told them 'No' - like it's something they'd heard for the first time in their lives.

So if I indicated I would pay you say $500 to implement a few changes, would that make a diff? :)

I actually wouldn't mind doing that if it would end up in a more feature rich tool that could be shared with the masses...

for a member who has all of 22 posts and joined the forum 5 weeks ago you really have no right to make statements like this, you're way out of line

My lack of posts does not indicate my level of maturity, or lack thereof. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I did not use profanity or crude phrases, I just indicated a bit of frustration. I see no harm in that.

I think the bosses point is that this suggestion is only really beneficial to you DudeBoyz. In the past I have seen people make suggestions that because they had popular support were implemented into ImgBurn or Decrypter before it..... I can assure you that Lightning_UK! is very open to suggestions but we need to remember that when it's a "no" it's for a good reason....

Nice attempted bribe tho :lol: !!

I'm entitled to my opinion, and I did not use profanity or crude phrases, I just indicated a bit of frustration. I see no harm in that.

You're right about being entitled to your opinion and I agree that you're probably frustrated also. But, don't forget, you're replying to the Boss and creator of the program; and you're doing it on the board that he supports with his software.

By posting electronically you have to pick and choose your wording since we can't see your facial expressions and read your body language. Humans communicate on many different levels at the same time and writing, for most of us, tends to imply more than what we 'say' in our choice of words. There was a time, long before television, radio, cell phones, when writing was an art and we had a universal understanding of the art. That time has passed us by and we now communicate on an international basis through electronically transmitted characters and tend to forget that we're not 'talking' to one another but writing thoughts down on a screen that we hope the receiver will understand.

I thought you were 'bitching' at the Boss also until I read your replies after the post and now understand what you meant.

We're not a bunch of hard-asses here, we come in to help, learn, suggest, try to break the program and generally have a good time for a few minutes a day. :thumbup:

Well, I really do like the program a great deal. But as with many programs, I have my own ideas of things that might make it better and / or more convenient for me as an individual user.

I was pretty much just irritated at the tone of the reply, in part because I've read a lot of terse replies from LUK and had a bee in my bonnet about it anyway.

I look at apps like 7zip and WinRAR and Rename Master (www.joejoesoft.com) and appreciate how they have added so many user-suggested features to make it more convenient and usable.

Like how 7zip and WinRAR unzip a ton of formats. I don't mind that they may only make archives in one or two formats (like how WinRAR does RAR and ZIP). I am just glad that they decompress so many other formats so I don't have to go load like 8 other apps just to decompress different archives, especially since I'm only going to compress them as ZIP archives. The key is I can use that single program to handle almost all of my archiving needs. That is totally cool.

With Rename Master, I remember when folks started suggesting that he add the ability to create / modify file names from MP3 tag info and then EXIF data in JPEG images. Then others asked him to include a directory tree to make navigation easier, and the ability to have it save window sizes and locations and change the default interface font and size, and even asked him to add some basic file management functions so people could copy and delete and other things right from within the program interface itself.

He was really open to the suggestions and spent a TON of time implementing the changes and additions and as a result, I think it's about the best File Renamer out there.

Heck, even the WinRAR folks eventually agreed to make their product skinnable. And the Utorrent guys did a great job of listening to user requests and now the thing is a very popular, feature rich little app.

So selfishly, yeah, it is about making an already good product better. Yes, some of my ideas may sound lame or what not, but I'm just trying to add to the mix of brainstorming and suggestions. I understand that good ideas will float to the top and get considered, and that's cool. But I can't help but be a little disappointed when getting shut-down, as it were.

I honestly think adding the ability to rip an ISO of a DATA DVD is a great feature, especially for bootable disks like Bart's PE Builder and stuff like that. I'm not talking about ripping protected DVD VIDEO at all - just non-protected stuff.

I kinda like the idea of being able to dump all other ISO apps out there with their proprietary formats (like .DAA) and be able to use a single app to read disparate formats and convert them all to one. It seems like a useful feature, and is in line with what other apps like WinRAR and 7zip do.

Heck, at first ImgBurn could not build ISO's, but the feature was added and the program is even better because of it. Yeah, folks were like "Hey, ImgBurn is for BURNING images, not creating them" but I don't think anyone can deny how nice it is to have the ability to create ISO's from collections of files.

Anyway, I have my opinions on the product, and on the tone of the higher-ups when responding, but I'm only one person. I don't have an over-inflated view of my own importance. I just like to contribute with some suggestions, and not all of them are going to be really good ones.

So, I'm sorry if I posted with my own jerk-like attitude. It stems from frustration, but that's really no excuse. I should have been nicer about it.

Thanks for those who have taken the time to respond constructively - I appreciate it.

I'm still a fan of ImgBurn and intend to use it all the time. I just think it could be a little bit better here and there is all. :)

I don't really want to discuss this matter any further, we've each had our say and we know where we stand.... trouble is, I can't leave it at that!

I want to point out that some form of ISO Build mode was always on the cards. I attempted it back when I was still doing DVD Decrypter but kinda gave up because it was overly complex for a tool that wasn't all about burning.

Before its implementation, people threw the whole 'make it burn normal files and create ISO's' idea around like it would take 5 minutes. You've no idea how frustrating that is.

Anyway.... Of course ImgBurn IS all about burning and so I knew eventually I had to try again. ~13,000 lines of code later, and that's without any real integration into the GUI, it was done. Maybe you don't fully appreciate the amount of time I DO put into this program? Even the most simple of things (to an end user) may actually take a day or two to code. The 'Build' thing took weeks of intensive / solid work.

That's why I have to just be blunt about things and say yes I'll do it, or no I won't. I can't keep everyone happy, I am only human after all.

ImgBurn is supposed to be 'fun' for me, that's the only reason I do it. If I know I'm not going to be pleased/impressed when I've finished implementing something, or I know it's going to be really boring doing it, I won't bother.

Support for DAA images etc is of absolutely no interest to me at all, hence I really have no motivation to do it. Not only that, you try finding the specs for a 'closed' image file format... it's pretty much impossible! As I said before, if a certain image format is a pain for you to burn, don't use it in the first place! I myself have managed to go 27 years without needing to use/burn DAA files so I know it's not a ridiculous thing to say!

Reading a disc to an ISO is something we've heard sooooo many times that it just annoys me when people even mention it now. It's not like it's a new suggestion and you'd think the 3000 threads already suggesting it in this forum might be enough for people not to suggest it again - obviously they're not because people still do it. The feature was not forgotten or left out by accident, it was very much left out on purpose.

If you look at the last few threads in this forum you'll come across a great suggestion about adding the ability to set the write speed for a given media in a table and have the program use that every time it burns that media. Now THAT is a good suggestion - and actually one we'd touched on briefly in a previous thread.

That one has now been implemented and will be ready for the next release. It's a feature that'll be used by the kinds of people that should be using my tool.... people who already know what they're doing.... people like me.

ImgBurn was never meant to replace the likes of Nero, and even more so, Nero Express. If people need their hands held whilst burning, they should stick to programs with pretty wizards where they just have to click 'Next' and understand what day of the week it is.

What about adding to the TOOLS menu an option for CREATE DVD VIDEO DISK or something, and then prompt the user to select the existing VOB/IFO/BUP project files or a VIDEO_TS folder containing a compiled DVD Video project that is ready to burn to disk?
You have this in Ner0. Perhaps use that.

Regards

I wouldn't class that kind of feature as a 'Tool' and I'm not sure how you can go thinking the 'create dvd mds' file is anything like on the same level as building an iso.

Changing the volume label within a given image file, that's a handy tool. Being able to extract layer break info from IFO files in an image, that's a handy tool. Building a DVD Video ISO image is a fully fledged feature.

But I didn't want people to JUST think ImgBurn did DVD Video ISO's....quite the opposite in fact. I spent a lot of time ensuring it could be used for anything and everything file/data related.

That's why Build mode is as flexible as it is. If I just wanted it to do DVD Video I would indeed just let the user input a single source folder and totally forget about all the other options.

What we did (myself and the beta team) was to make Build mode as intelligent as possible. It tries hard to detect if you're attempting to make a dvd video disc and will not let you configure any odd settings that could make bad things happen. So all you need to do is add your folder to the source box and click 'Build'. It's hardly rocket science and corny very kindly put together a good few guides for people to follow - so nobody really has any excuse for getting it wrong.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post. I think I understand about as well as I possibly could, and I'll just focus on learning how to use ImgBurn successfully and efficiently. Instead of thinking about what it could be, I'll focus on what it is, and be grateful for what it does do and not concerned about what it doesn't.

As for Nero, given how that application has turned in to a huge, bloated package full of gunk, I do want to try to wean myself from it, and I can do that in part by exploring new and free tools like ImgBurn. All I would want would be the core Nero Burning-ROM app, fully functional as a retail app or an OEM bundle. But they don't seem to want to do it that way, so I'm looking for alternatives.

After a bunch of Google searching, I have found a free and very simple little app that can read non-protected DVD's and CD's and create an ISO from them. It does not burn DVD ISO's - only CD's. So I will just use it to rip ISO's and ImgBurn to burn those ISO's.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Hope that helps some folks out there looking for that functionality.

Thanks for the help in figuring out how to use ImgBurn to burn my VIDEO_TS folders. It will make it way easy for me to get those TV Show edits from my Panasonic DMR-ES15 recorder on to a disk so I can free up some hard drive space.

I will try not to be such a pain in the arse... :)

EDIT: - I just found another ISO creating utility that is free. I was looking through tons of Google page caches and I could hardly believe that this utility has actually been discussed here in these forums in this rather caustic thread:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1788

I sorta wish someone had remembered to mention it. All it does is make ISO images from CD's and DVD's. It is called LCISOCreator and can be found here:

http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php

It's a single 53,248 byte executable and it seems about as idiot proof as it gets.

I'll let folks know about this little app. Seems to be yet another excellent supplement to ImgBurn.

Another possibility is called CD2ISO, though I have not yet tested it. I found it in the Google searches too.

http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/

Hope that helps someone. Looks like there are at least 3 freeware options to complement ImgBurn. :)

Edited by DudeBoyz

Totally! I have also made most of my work free (most of which are also open-source).

I do have to say, one of the VERY cool things about Open Source is that if you want it bad enough, you can get the features tweaked and added and removed and basically tailor the thing to your preferences.

I am really grateful that folks take that extra step and make their source code available and make things open source. That is just flat out the next level of generosity, and they totally deserve kudos.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone was nice enough to explain about how to use BUILD to create a VIDEO DVD from either a list of VOB files or a VIDEO_TS folder. If they had not, I never would have figured it out because just like an ISO burn, I expected to find it under the WRITE area. I expected to see it there because the files were already created and not in an ISO. So I thought in my mind "If it would be anywhere, it would be in the Tools area under the WRITE mode because that is where the CREATE DVD MDS file" is.

Maybe from the SOURCE box there, you could add an icon right next to the BROWSE FOR FILE and QUEUE icons that would say "DVD Project Files or Folder" or something like that? You know, to make it more obvious?

I don't really know all the ins and outs on why it is under the BUILD area, but I assumed (I know, dangerous to do) that because the project was already built, it would seem more logical to put it under the WRITE area, which would also make it more visible because it would be an option right there in the TOOLS menu, spelled out clearly so that folks would know instantly "Hey, that option means make a DVD Video from files on my drive".

Maybe I'm not explaining it well, but I just wanted to get it out there for discussion.

I hope that is ok. Not trying to criticize, just honestly trying to offer a suggestion for maybe making it a bit easier for noobs and folks to grasp.

Thanks - I look forward to some discussion. :)

What a complete waste of time! Just create a directory and put the VIDEO_TS directory (with the files in it) in that directory and go into Build Mode and then use the Browse For A Folder icon and select that directory.

There's a tab on the left where you set the disks label, etc. I've done it zillions of times. There's nothing special about a DVD-Video disk other than the file names and location. Of course, the files that are included have certain specifications themselves.

NO! It does NOT count as burnable anymore than a web page!

You burn images! It's not called VideoFilesToDVDMagicalBurner for a reason.

You are simply ignorant. However, an image can then be directly burned to

a device instead of a file but it already does that.

• 2 weeks later...
After a bunch of Google searching, I have found a free and very simple little app that can read non-protected DVD's and CD's and create an ISO from them. It does not burn DVD ISO's - only CD's. So I will just use it to rip ISO's and ImgBurn to burn those ISO's.

Hope that helps someone. Looks like there are at least 3 freeware options to complement ImgBurn. :)

Actually another decent one I found recently is IsoPuzzle

It was written as a DVD recovery app, but builds ISO's from discs quite nicely. With the added advantage that if the disk is slighty unreadable, you can put the disk into another drive, or even another machine and just rip the missing sectors and bring them back and merge them into the ISO.

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.