older version 2.1.0.0 needed

murwood

I figured you'd just zip it over multiple floppies or something.

Another option would be to remove the hdd from that machine, hook it up to another (more recent one!) and back the drive up properly.

You may run into issue with the program not being able to read some of the 'in use' files if you're trying to backup the OS drive from within that same OS. ImgBurn is not a hdd backup tool.

To determine the version number of ImgBurn for a particular installer, choose the Properties of the file in File Explorer and select Details.  It will tell you the version number under File Version and/or Product Version.

Sorry, it looks like I have only archived version 2.5.8.0. I know I had older versions too somewhere. I would need to dive deeper and I don't have the time for that now.

What do you mean by installer being broken? Did you download the file called "imgburn2100.exe"? I just downloaded and installed it in a Windows 10 VM and it works like a clockwork.

imgburn-2100-installing.png.228745246a9c835d667c99229d4b1a55.png

imgburn-2100-install-running.png.1a0033e9bd4877647b1d98fe27e726bb.png

I don't have any optical drive installed in the VM or the physical machine. If I did, I am pretty sure this would still work, even within a virtual environment.

Check the the file you downloaded. It should have the following MD5 & SHA1 hashes.

MD5: F96434D2B31F4CC5A94AF31750DE7B8F
SHA-1: A508FD607FA64A57C9BEB3EE60D33563606A7752

I hope this helps.

Ken852: m/c is old shorthand for machine. MD5 and SHA-1 match. Tried on 2 m/c and both said something about installer broken. Perhaps it is something on the W95 and w98 boxes broken and not the file itself.

dbminter: When I look at the file imgburn2100.exe properties:details, both are blank.

Lightning: I did that once with a W98 disk and attached via usb adapter to a W10 m/c to create backup. Backup was fine but then original m/c did not like whatever w10 did to the MBR. Seems W10 likes to modify it if you write something to the disk. An no, not a MBR virus. Had to go to another W98 m/c and FDISK /MBR to make it usable again. Makes me nervous to try that again....

Now I did get more memory installed and a 2nd hard drive so I could finally get the Microsoft backup to run by breaking the files down into groups. So the need for ISO image of disk is not important now.

imgburn.png

I just downloaded that same file from Oldversion.com for a second time and I can verify that those fields are indeed blank. Perhaps the early versions did not have that information? I don't know. But I don't think it has to do with where you got the file from.

4 hours ago, murwood said:

Tried on 2 m/c and both said something about installer broken. Perhaps it is something on the W95 and w98 boxes broken and not the file itself.

Have you tried installing it on a more modern system? For example on Windows XP? Also, what does this "something" say exactly? The installer for ImgBurn uses NSIS. Perhaps that doesn't work on Windows 98? That I don't know. You may need to install additional components to make it work. It's not a standard MSI package. Alos, you may be able to get a portable version of ImgBurn up and running? Assuming one exists, I'm not sure about that.

Edited by Ken852
Added a link to Wikipedia page on NSIS

A lot of the mirrors for ImgBurn repackage the software with their own bloatware.  So, those repackaged versions may not have version signatures because, technically, they aren't the same application anymore.  Whoever repackaged them may simply have just been lazy and didn't do it.

Yes, but the version number is present for the file "2.5.7.0_SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe" for example.

imgburn-2.5.7.0.png.65e21bf1ec8d896b873a0448ef27a0b1.png

Also downloaded from Oldversion.com. This is not a mirror site. It's a site that collects old versions of software, mainly Windows, but they have collections for Mac as well as Linux. I have never heard of this site before. But it seems like a good service for those rare occasions when you might need an older version of a particular software and you can't get it in any other way. The users of this site get points for uploading old software from their stash, so it would be in their best interest I think to only upload good stuff and not some nasty virus.

Official mirror sites for ImgBurn are Digital Digest, BetaNews, Softpedia, Free-Codecs.com, TechSpot, and MajorGeeks. All of which only host the current and the latest version, not any of the previous versions (as far as I could find anyway).

Why is it though that old versions of ImgBurn are not made available, via the official ImgBurn site or one of its mirrors?

Edited by Ken852

According to the changelog...

2.3.2.40 - 12th January 2008
Added: Version information to the installer exe.

So yes, SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe don't have version information.

For SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe these are the hash info

File: SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe
CRC-32: f05fc9e4
   MD4: fe004d84570589d1a561c810d29e8ab4
   MD5: f96434d2b31f4cc5a94af31750de7b8f
 SHA-1: a508fd607fa64a57c9beb3ee60d33563606a7752

@ianymaty where did you get the hash info from? Is it listed somewhere publicly?

Also, yes, "SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe" is the original file name, because same file name is used on the DVD I linked to previously. So it's not "imgburn2100.exe" but the hashes do match.

CertUtil -hashfile Downloads\imgburn2100.exe MD5

In a Windows 10 command window.

Re-tried the install on a new install of win98 on a cleaned hard drive and all went well.

There must have been something else in the system corrupted that caused the install to fail.

That's good to know @murwood thanks for reporting back.

Meanwhile, I went through the trouble of downloading that DVD image from the Internet archive and extracted the ImgBurn file.

CDVD1106.ISO

Size: 4.13 GB (4,442,390,528 bytes)
CRC32: ADC519FA
MD4: E7100E88480348ADDF7928A4A1A3E712
MD5: AA83B2AAEB5CC2FE70C890280B428EE7
SHA-1: 5EA9512502C5743D412FB4DC5EFA2D916F949178

SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe

Size: 1.07 MB (1,126,945 bytes)
CRC32: F05FC9E4
MD4: FE004D84570589D1A561C810D29E8AB4
MD5: F96434D2B31F4CC5A94AF31750DE7B8F

@Ken852

We, the Beta Team Members, have acces to all released versions in history and it's not public, sorry.

The info I posted is from the original SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe that is in the archive maintained by LIGHTNING UK!

For retreiving the info I used HashCheck Shell Extension http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ or you can use the newer modified version https://github.com/gurnec/HashCheck

So the file from that downloaded disc is temperd and not the original file released by the author.

That's OK @ianymaty I was just curious, because it has proven difficult to find the older releases in the wild.

The SHA1 hash you posted was:

SHA-1: a508fd607fa64a57c9beb3ee60d33563606a7752

The one I posted was:

These are the same hashes, they just happen to use different letter casing, because I used a different hash tool.

In fact the EXE file from the DVD image I downloaded and the EXE file from Oldversion.com are exactly the same, the only difference is that someone (presumably the uploader) changed the name of the file from "SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe" to "imgburn2100 .exe" but they both return the same hash values so none of them have been tampered with (other than the file name for the Oldversion.com file).

Edited by Ken852

Exactly! :D

But I have to point out that the DVD disc in question is identified by Windows as a security threat! :propeller:

Signature: VirTool:Win32/Killwifip.A

Details: This program is used to create viruses, worms or other malware.

Location: CDVD1106.ISO->Software\Freeware\Utilitare\Flyakite\FlyakiteOSX v3.5.exe

I can assure you guys that this is not a virus nor a virus maker! :lol: It just so happens that the said "utilitare" is just a Windows XP desktop customiser for creating faked OS X installs out of Microsoft Windows and not having to rob a bank to get a genuine apple. Not that I would know, but "utilitare" is most likely Romanian for utilities. The DVD disc is from a Romanian version of the CHiP magazin. (I had no idea CHiP was published outside of Germany.) Following is a description of this software taken from Softonic.com.

Convert your PC into a Mac with this original visual theme

FlyakiteOSX is a handy, free program only available for Windows, that belongs to the category Desktop customization software with subcategory Visual Styles (XP).
More about FlyakiteOSX

It's available for users with the operating system Windows XP and prior versions, and it is only available in English. The software version is 3.5 and it has been updated on 6/6/2006.

Since the program joined our selection of programs and apps in 2006, it has already achieved 771,879 installations, and last week it gained 33 installations.

FlyakiteOSX is a software that requires less free space than the average program in the section Desktop customization software. It's a software very heavily used in countries such as India, Indonesia, and United States.

@ianymaty the funny thing about this is that I see you have your location set to Romania. Coincidence? I think the universe is playing cards with us! :lol:

I can't believe Microsoft is still holding a grudge against this software... :playball:

Edited by Ken852

Yes, I live in Romania and as you guessed the word "utilitare" is the romanian word for "utility" meaning something useful, handy or good to be used and comes from french word "utilitaire"

Most probably I'll find that disc if I dug out the collection of Chip magazine I own. Some years ago they stoped the publication of the romanian version than restarted and from mid 2020 no new issue but now they intend to start again from april this year. Just saw the announcement on their Facebook page. https://ro-ro.facebook.com/RevistaCHIP  

About the coincidence... I don't know it just happens to be.

That customization program probably got reported by Apple as "stealing their image" or Microsoft don't want that Windows computers to look like OSX and marked it. :lol:

20 hours ago, ianymaty said:

Yes, I live in Romania and as you guessed the word "utilitare" is the romanian word for "utility" meaning something useful, handy or good to be used and comes from french word "utilitaire"

Oui, oui! :buba: :D

About the coincidence... I don't know it just happens to be.

Some years ago they stoped the publication of the romanian version than restarted and from mid 2020 no new issue but now they intend to start again from april this year.

See?! I'm telling you the universe is playing cards with us. :pokerface::lol:

Yeah, I have a small collection of computer magazines of my own. I brought them out recently and had a look at them. I will probably upload the images of the discs that came with them. I have just not come that far in my archival process. It's quite funny to see headlines to the like of "full 30 day version of software x". You would think you're getting the real deal when you buy the magazine! :lol: But it's only a full version for a limited time! That sounds so weird... in retrospect. Of course, back in those days, software was limited in feature set when not time limited, so it would seem nice to have all the features available even if it's only for a short time. So why not buy a magazine and get some free software? :)

Boy have times changed since... and with all the ads and all the tracking that online magazines and just about every website now uses I think I would rather prefer to pay to read a paper magazine. If anything, just to get rid of all the distractions like Windows notifications and cross-site browser notifications, and not to mention emails pouring in...

Cheers to yet another reboot of CHIP Romania! :drinks: Hope it runs for a long time and serves up copies of free software to Internet users for another 15 years or so. ^_^

Edited by Ken852

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.