Plextor PX-708A

AlienX69

Been getting a lot of "Servo Tracking Errors" on my Plex PX-708A. My NEC 3520A has been pretty ROCK solid with Liggy&Dee firmware.

Thinking about getting another NEC, 3540A, $39 at NewEgg, anyone have this drive ? If so any suggentions on the firmware ?

AX

Been getting a lot of "Servo Tracking Errors" on my Plex PX-708A. My NEC 3520A has been pretty ROCK solid with Liggy&Dee firmware.

Thinking about getting another NEC, 3540A, $39 at NewEgg, anyone have this drive ? If so any suggentions on the firmware ?

AX

Alien, I just bought that same NEC 3540A for $39 at newegg.com . Get it!!!! Dude, its awesome! I can rip a DVD-9 now in roughly 10 to 11 min. Make sure when you get, to update the firmware to Liggy's And Dee's NEC 1.W6 including Bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1 - Firmware Version 1.W6 ! Get it from here: http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/ Edited by jmet

Here is 1 of my logs on a DVD-9 disc ripped with this drive.

Might I remind you that this is not a decryption forum. Posting logs showing the decryption process is unlikely to help Lightning_UK in any way, shape or form with the possible exception of expediting a trip to court.

Might be worthwile having a sticky at the top of each forum section saying that. At least then the few people that do read a bit before posting would know, dont think it will stop em all though.

Alien, I just bought that same NEC 3540A for $39 at newegg.com . Get it!!!! Dude, its awesome! I can rip a DVD-9 now in roughly 10 to 11 min. Make sure when you get, to update the firmware to Liggy's And Dee's NEC 1.W6 including Bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1 - Firmware Version 1.W6 !

Indeed a very nice burner.

The official site is here: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com

Other than ripping, is the 3540 any better at burning than the 3520...

Yes, the 3540 should have better burning quality on a range of discs compared to the 3520.

Much better hardware IMO.

(And of course the 3540 supports 8x DVD+R DL writing, which the 3520 does not)

Sounds interesting re the 3540, the 3520 does some excellent burns, Pi/Po scans are very good. Haven't had the nerve to overspeed DL media with the 3520 (it'll do 6X) yet, a bit too pricey to risk a duff disc for me.

Alien, have you got it yet?

Yep, Got it a few days ago, installed last night, tested with ORIG firmware. It burned TYG01 (4x) at 8X with Nero .. pretty good.

Well now for the real test ..... I just installed Ver. 1W7 .. released 8-10-05 per website .... i thought I went there to check the 1W6 you posted last week and 1W7 wasn't there and 1W6 was ... I could be mistaken .... 10/8/05 ? ?

Anyway I got it flashed and need to test ...... now I have a 3520 & 3540, no more expensive Plex's for me, paid $198 for a PX-708A around 1/2004. Note the Plex was faster at some things .......

Now I need to go see what the latest for the 3520 ..... looks like 2.U3, I'm still running ND-3520AW 1.UG, but it works like a charm, never had one hiccup .....

L8R

Yea it does decent, straight out of the box with orginial firmware.

Yeah, they have since improved and moved up to 1W7. I need to download 1W7 now. :D

Not sure what firmware I am using on the 3520, cause my 2nd computer is loaned out, so I cant check it. I wanna say it was 1.UG. Works like a charm though as you say! :)

I LOVE IT!

"Average Read Rate: 14,769 KB/s (10.7x) - Maximum Read Rate: 21,066 KB/s (15.2x)"
Edited by jmet

Why not go for a 4550 / 4551?

I haven't been able to find it for sale yet in Canada, should be readily available apparently within a month. LabelFlash looks a lot more interesting than Lightscribe, but a colour printed disc (inkjet) is still nicer IMO.

• 1 month later...

Alien, I just bought that same NEC 3540A for $39 at newegg.com . Get it!!!! Dude, its awesome! I can rip a DVD-9 now in roughly 10 to 11 min. Make sure when you get, to update the firmware to Liggy's And Dee's NEC 1.W6 including Bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1 - Firmware Version 1.W6 !

Indeed a very nice burner.

The official site is here: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com

Other than ripping, is the 3540 any better at burning than the 3520...

Yes, the 3540 should have better burning quality on a range of discs compared to the 3520.

Much better hardware IMO.

(And of course the 3540 supports 8x DVD+R DL writing, which the 3520 does not)

I've got an NEC 3520a. I've tried using 3.06 oem, 3.06+rip, 3.06+rip+bt, and 2.U3 firmwares. I'm using Prodisc -r and +r media, both manf rated 8x. +r will allow 12x burn, but nero shows errors on verify after burn. Even at 8x, they burn and verify and play in the 3520 with powerdvd, but in the Apex 2500 they only work for about half the disc and then start locking the picture and it goes off into la la land. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what's going on here? I used to use firmware 3.04 + rip and (I think) those burns worked ok in the apex, but I'm not 100% certain. I could reflash the 3520 back to 3.04, but then I still wouldn't know if it was the Apex 2500(which may now have a problem that it didn't before), the media, or the 3520(possible firmware problem, or dying entirely).

I can tell you that the newest 2.U3 firmware allows burning the -r and +r prodisc brand media rated for 8x at 12x and I'm having problems getting it to work at 8x, so I know something must be off. Thanks for ANY help you can provide.

from past experience , a lot of forum visitors have problems with prodisc.

try using verbatim or taiyo yuden discs , use imgburn to burn them then you can post logs and we can offer support.

whats happening when you use nero to burn ? no idea as i never use it for dvd burning, i found it too unreliable

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.