Help in burning with DVD+R DL and BenQ 1640

Sgt_Strider

Hi, I just recently bought a 10 pack Verbatim DVD+R DL. It was kinda expensive at about $3 CAD per disk. I don't really want to screw up and waste a disk. I'm not sure what programs you guys are using to backup your DVD's. Some people told me to use Imgburn and some suggested other programs. I am leaning toward using Imgburn, but I'm not sure if there are other software that is as easy. I already have the images on the hard drive decrypted. I heard the BenQ 1640 will automatically change the booktype on the disk and that I don't need to install Qsuite for that. Is this true? Should I install Qsuite? If so, what options should I enable? Do I need to change the booktype to DVD-ROM with Imgburn? Is that all that I need to do? Btw, my firmware is BSMB and should I flash to the newest firmware? Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

ImgBurn can set the booktype stuff on your BenQ drive, just click the little 'book' type icon down the bottom right corner of the screen when in 'Write' mode.

We had someone on here the other day saying the 1640 wasn't burning DL discs that well. Like you say, they are indeed expensive and the last thing I want to do is make you waste them!

Some firmware versions will no doubt work better than others but in order to find the best, you need to find a lot of people who have already done the testing for you!

As such, I'd recommend you take a look on the cdfreaks forums - they have one especially for BenQ drives - and see what people are posting about DL burns on a 1640.

ImgBurn itself will burn DL images just fine though. All you need to worry about is your drive/firmware/media combo ;)

Oh and QSuite is quite a handy little tool, you might aswell install it.

• 2 years later...

Not worth making a seperat post for it but since we re on the subject of qsuite and Benq 1640, i thought i might add this snipet of info. Only recently installed Qsuite and actually looked into some of the features. Experimented with some of them while burning, using ImgBurn and discovered for the best possible burns with TY DVD-R X16 disks, you should activate

Solid Burn, Overspeed and WOPC.

Overspeed didnt make a difference interms of burning the disk faster but just by activating it i found that it added an extra

1.5% to the final quality rating in DVDINFOPRO, totalling 95.56%.

Used latest firmware: BSRB

I would agree with you donta but i actually tested about 10 disks at full whack and the ones with Overspeed activated,

tended to be of a better quality. That 1.5% margin was a suprise to me because my ratings usually rated at 93-94%. Perhaps it is just coencidence but i cant be arsed to do anymore testing. Maybe somone else can confirm this given the time. Not really that important though lol.

Do you guys ever get around 99% rated burns. If so which drives do you use? Sometime burning disks is a bit like

alchemy...hehe.

Edited by Syn4pz

but i cant be arsed to do anymore testing

Makes no difference on my 1650's/1655

Overspeed will burn faster but you have to select the higher speed to achieve that as in put 8x rated in and choose 12x or 16x

Solidburn would or should help to increase overall burn quality though.

Temp setting or system ? which one you choose ?

And what do you mean can't be arsed :)

Sometime burning disks is a bit like

alchemy...hehe.

Yeah your right about that. A few of mine have turned into shit.

Temp setting or system ? which one you choose ?

Did a system setting with out a reboot so i know all the features were active.

And what do you mean can't be arsed :)

Such a time consuming activity, this testing business. So i can imagine what you beta testers go through ;)

Essentially my burns wer based around those three paticular options: Solid, over and WOPC.

Solid on, Over off, WOPC on

Solid off , WOPC off, Over on................and so on. Went through every permetation, i guess partly because i had time

off from work and was bored....lol. But then i got really bored and felt i should report my findings here and bore other people ;)

Yeah your right about that. A few of mine have turned into shit.

ROFL! Amen to that.

P.S With WOPC>off, Solid>off and even Overburn>off, you still get 89% quality marks with dvdinfopro on the

TYDVD-Rx16 disks @Max speeds. Just fascinating stuff.

Edited by Syn4pz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.