Release source code?

Is (or will it be) the source code available at any time? Given the fact that the software works fine, but hasn't received a single change in years (last release is more than 3 years old) we can assume that the software is mature enough.

As a side question, if the code won't be available, is there any chance for this to be ported to linux and or mac?

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would also like the source code to be released. People are using a 10yr old version. You can say that there is a beta version but only people going on these forums know about it therefore 99.99% of users are using the old stable version.

By the time a new stable version is released optical drives won't be included on any laptops any longer, they aren't included in many nowadays. Seems a waste to keep the program in beta, what is the point in that exactly?

Edited by spaceship9876

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to know the state of this software. It's like a mystery. Is there a planned public release date? Is there a planned definite time frame for period of beta which would be to work out bugs and a public release target date  for a newer version? I can't help but think the reason for all delays is related to monetary issues. If so, that's perfectly fine but keeping the user base is the dark is not going to effect those issues. At least, I wouldn't think so.

It seems like enough time has passed now to work out any bugs. But just some tidbit of what is going on behind the scenes would be nice.

Edited by AlbertEinstein
edits

There is no specific time frame for how long a beta period lasts.  The beta period basically lasts as long as it is between the last public release and the next.  For instance, the last beta release was November 2021.

The primary reason for the long span since the last public release is simply because LUK has a job.  :)  ImgBurn is a side project he does on his free time.

Just wanted to say my opinions here. Personally, I feel like the software is doing just fine the way it is right now. At least for the methods I use it for, I encounter no bugs whatsoever and the performance is by far superior to any other burning application I have used until I stumbled across ImgBurn. It's light, it's easy to navigate, and it gets the job done which is the most important aspect of it. Heck ImgBurn runs fine on this 20 year old laptop I have going that I use for burning and it handles it quite nicely which I am using right now to type this. 

We should be thankful that Lightning UK still has a forum going for ImgBurn and is still taking time out of his life to still aid us folks who still need assistance. LUK should continue to spend time with his family and maintain other things that are much more of priority than ImgBurn itself. The software is in a decent state already and I find it hard to tell that the latest version is from 2013 honestly. I am sure LUK will come back to developing once he believes the time is right for himself. It's personally his choice and we have to respect that. 

The only two issues I can name off the top of my head that have been addressed in the beta releases since 2013 are it correctly identifies the Windows version it's running on if you're on Windows 10/11 and it correctly recognizes devices connected by USB 3.x as USB 3.x instead of USB 2.x.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.