ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 Released!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 JasonFriday13

JasonFriday13

ISF Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, electronics, drums, comedy.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

Long time, no logon :). Thanks to technology the last time I burned a disc was a few years ago, I have moved to harddisk storage and virtual drives. ImgBurn is still my number one burning and iso making program.

Also, it's obvious LUK is getting a little money to include this extra software, which is keeping ImgBurn free. Novice computer users don't know this and complain about it. I would rather keep a good program free by adding extra software for a fee.

And, thanks for the new version!

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
"Oh and I prefer to be called Jason, not by my full nickname." -Jason Ross. Please put this into use!
Nullsoft Scriptable Install System: My install maker of choice!
The NSIS Discussion Forum.
My User page on the NSIS Wiki.
Posted Image << Click there for main site.

#22 spinningwheel

spinningwheel

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't...Period.

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Good to see you back here JF13, and well stated.

spinner : >)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a ride

http://www.facebook.com/brunswicksmokers

We do not discuss ripping here. If you need help with that, Google it...if you can't accept that, move on!

#23 Tappan Adney

Tappan Adney

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

browsers:  IE (updated) & Firefox (updated)

2.5.8 source:  softpedia

I understand the economics of freeware in 2013.  It's one thing to bundle other software with this software, but it is quite another to not give users the option to not install this bundled software.  And then to make it worse, the update didn't even make the user aware that it was including other software.  I couldn't opt out of it, and I wasn't at all aware it was happening.  After uininstalling the TuneUp suite from the control panel, it was a headache afterwards.  I had to reboot twice and was still having a problem uninstalling it.  I'm still not certain I have it removed.  Then, the Bing-related toolbar (enrapture, encapture, or whatever it is called) and search engine wasn't easily removed, either.  After removing the tool bar, it was still integrated into my search engines.  I had to go into each browser in two places to remove it from operating and acting as the default.  On top of that, It had also replaced my home pages with the search engine page.  One small thing after another adding up to a real hassle.

I don't consider it whiny or complaining to at least request a warning that this extra software is included before installing, and it would be only common courtesy to give users the option to click out of installing it before installing the ImgBurn update.  I've never had this happen with any other update from any software, freeware or paid.  For instance, at least Adobe informs, and gives an option, if you want the Google toolbar installed as it is bundled with the reader.  McAfee antivirus is bundled all over the place, but it always gives the user the option to not also install it.  That's decency.

If ImgBurn is financially forced to partner with other software, at least make sure it isn't so intrusive and hassle-ridden.  You are the company you keep.  It doesn't speak well of ImgBurn to put users in this type of situation.  I've been using ImgBurn for years, and I've had no complaints whatsoever about it.  This was an ugly turn of events.

#24 cornholio7

cornholio7

ISF Holio

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:Canon dslr's, computers

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

the option NOT to install is there to see, quite plainly in fact, it's on the very first screen of the installer.

this type of installer that is bundled with other software is more and more common, even java has ask toolbar bundled,

even though imgburn was changed from ask to this current one, doesn't change the fact that you can choose not to install the bundled stuff.

#25 Tappan Adney

Tappan Adney

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

This is why I included where I got it.  I wasn't sure if it would matter or not.  I'm telling you, without any doubt, it never asked me or showed me this extra software.  No logos.  No boxes to uncheck.  Nothing.  Until they were installed, I'd never heard of that toolbar or TuneUp.  Never seen the names.  Nothing.  Up to this point, I had a 100% track record of not installing things by mistake with any software or update, so I promise you I was watching.

#26 DjDiabolik

DjDiabolik

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

The project it's DEAD ? No more updates for one years.............

#27 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

No, it's not dead. I'm just a bit busy with other things and the current release is working fine.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#28 Tellurian

Tellurian

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

No, it's not dead. I'm just a bit busy with other things and the current release is working fine.

Now, you've got me intrigued..

What 'other things' have you occupied? Some new and enticing software, or are you about to be enslaved by some big corporation?

(We've all seen this happen to other talented programmers.)

I just couldn't imagine using my computer without Imgburn.

#29 rjamesd

rjamesd

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

Fartfinger mode: ON

FYI;

It just kills me that a program such as this one, the best at what it does and totally free for the millions of people that use it, has users that feel they have the right to bitch about such trivial things like it's their own damned property.

Fartfinger mode: OFF

I would love to just pay for ImgBurn to be able to download the latest version without the Malware. LIGHTNING UK is right that he has no control over OpenCandy - and THAT is a concern, as he is rely on them to offer software that is not damaging to users' machines - a nuisance perhaps but nothing more. That to me is a risk. BUT LIGHTNING UK DOES have control over choosing to use OpenCandy in the installer, as the release notes state.

Oh and by the way, before you get on your high horse about being free and saying that we should put up with these things and assuming that most people want something for nothing: NOT TRUE. WHY? Because I have DONATED twice in the past. So anyone who patronises their userbase by assuming all of them want something for nothing can shut up, because here's one that isn't like that and I betcha there's more like me.

#30 rjamesd

rjamesd

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

I understand the economics of freeware in 2013.  It's one thing to bundle other software with this software, but it is quite another to not give users the option to not install this bundled software.  And then to make it worse, the update didn't even make the user aware that it was including other software.  I couldn't opt out of it, and I wasn't at all aware it was happening.  After uininstalling the TuneUp suite from the control panel, it was a headache afterwards.  I had to reboot twice and was still having a problem uninstalling it.  I'm still not certain I have it removed.  Then, the Bing-related toolbar (enrapture, encapture, or whatever it is called) and search engine wasn't easily removed, either.  After removing the tool bar, it was still integrated into my search engines.  I had to go into each browser in two places to remove it from operating and acting as the default.  On top of that, It had also replaced my home pages with the search engine page.  One small thing after another adding up to a real hassle.

I don't consider it whiny or complaining to at least request a warning that this extra software is included before installing, and it would be only common courtesy to give users the option to click out of installing it before installing the ImgBurn update.  I've never had this happen with any other update from any software, freeware or paid.  For instance, at least Adobe informs, and gives an option, if you want the Google toolbar installed as it is bundled with the reader.  McAfee antivirus is bundled all over the place, but it always gives the user the option to not also install it.  That's decency.

If ImgBurn is financially forced to partner with other software, at least make sure it isn't so intrusive and hassle-ridden.  You are the company you keep.  It doesn't speak well of ImgBurn to put users in this type of situation.  I've been using ImgBurn for years, and I've had no complaints whatsoever about it.  This was an ugly turn of events.

The simple thing would be to NOT have the Malware or bundles enabled by default, i.e. the checkboxes/tickboxes NOT TICKED, by default. But that is not the case and is deceitful. Or indeed don't have them at all and instead offer an honest business model whereby people pay for the software.

Edited by rjamesd, 13 October 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#31 rjamesd

rjamesd

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

Long time, no logon :). Thanks to technology the last time I burned a disc was a few years ago, I have moved to harddisk storage and virtual drives. ImgBurn is still my number one burning and iso making program.

Also, it's obvious LUK is getting a little money to include this extra software, which is keeping ImgBurn free. Novice computer users don't know this and complain about it. I would rather keep a good program free by adding extra software for a fee.

And, thanks for the new version!

What's wrong with paying for software, it could be offered for a reasonable price. People need to be educated about this.

At somepoint JasonFriday there is a high chance that you are among many people here who would have had to part with some cash to be able to even type on this forum: your broadband connection, your PC, your Windows software, other software. And of course, as a user of ImgBurn, you are burning CDs, DVDs and/or Blu-rays aren't you? Hmmmm ooh let's think... hmmm now that blank media isn't free is it? Oh yeah, you buy it a shop don't you? Oh means means spending money doesn't it?  So if you can spend money on the blank media, then why is it a problem to pay the author of ImgBurn for his hard work? Rather than encourage the awful business model of bundling crapware into the installer.

Baffles me.

Why is it this way, why can't people get it into their heads...

#32 rjamesd

rjamesd

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Apparently, the new version of ImgBurn tries to install crapware during the upgrade. Some kind of toolbar, and some antivirus junk.

I used to recommend this software to everyone. It's a well thought-out burner, complex and powerful, yet with a no-nonsense interface. Great.

But installing crapware on users' computers during installation is a really, really lowly tactic. I used to think "I have a disc burner software, there's no need for me to look for an alternative". Well, you just made me think I probably should look for an alternative.

Have to agree sadly. I'd happily pay for ImgBurn for an-adware/malware/crapware free installer and to reward the author. And I can put my money where my mouth is as I've actually donated to ImgBurn, but still the stupid approach to the installer is continuing.

#33 rjamesd

rjamesd

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

Agree. See my other comments on this thread.

#34 kevdriver

kevdriver

Six - Speed Commotion

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Interests:Modding Hondas and Speed. And Barb..........

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

WOULD YOU EXPECT ANYTHING LESS FROM IMGBURN THEN A FINE FUNCTIONING PROGRAM?   :shakehands: 

Read the FAQ before posting

Read the Drives and Media Guide for media choices

Read the Guides by Cornholio7 for proper user instructions.

Verbatim DVD+R DL recommended for proper dual layer burning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung SH-W162Z Pioneer DVR-111 Benq DVD DW1640 LG DVDRAM GSA 4163B Pioneer DVR-212D LG-HL-DT-ST-BD-RE GGW-H20L

imgburn is simply the best burner program period

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please consider DONATING a buck or two to help continue the improving of this excellent program, Imgburn Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01001001011011010110011101100010011101010111001001101110001011000010000001010100
11010000110010101110010011001010010011101110011001000000110111001101111011101000
10100001101001011011100110011100100000010000100110010101110100011101000110010101

#35 dvdfan

dvdfan

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

As usual, you can download it and view the changelog by visiting the main website.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Special 'Thanks' to all the beta testers, translators and donors!

Hi there, didn't hear from you for a long time.  Hope you are keeping well.  Will you still be publishing more release post v2.5.8.0?  Hope to see you back here...:)

#36 dvdfan

dvdfan

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

Very glad to know that you are still on this....Hope things are going well with you.  Always love to hear from you...

#37 Paul K

Paul K

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

The download from Major Geeks does not match the MD5 or SHA-1 numbers - for me, anyway.

The download from ImgBurn does match.

#38 alan1476

alan1476

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

All you pleople complaining about the crapware, there is a freeware program called " Unchecky" google it. It automatically chooses for you not to install the crapware.

#39 dequadim

dequadim

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Latest update was released in 2013, now we are in 2017.

Any plan for a newer version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users