LIGHTNING UK!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

No, it's not dead. I'm just a bit busy with other things and the current release is working fine.

Now, you've got me intrigued..

What 'other things' have you occupied? Some new and enticing software, or are you about to be enslaved by some big corporation?

(We've all seen this happen to other talented programmers.)

I just couldn't imagine using my computer without Imgburn.

• 6 months later...

Fartfinger mode: ON

FYI;

It just kills me that a program such as this one, the best at what it does and totally free for the millions of people that use it, has users that feel they have the right to bitch about such trivial things like it's their own damned property.

Fartfinger mode: OFF

I would love to just pay for ImgBurn to be able to download the latest version without the Malware. LIGHTNING UK is right that he has no control over OpenCandy - and THAT is a concern, as he is rely on them to offer software that is not damaging to users' machines - a nuisance perhaps but nothing more. That to me is a risk. BUT LIGHTNING UK DOES have control over choosing to use OpenCandy in the installer, as the release notes state.

Oh and by the way, before you get on your high horse about being free and saying that we should put up with these things and assuming that most people want something for nothing: NOT TRUE. WHY? Because I have DONATED twice in the past. So anyone who patronises their userbase by assuming all of them want something for nothing can shut up, because here's one that isn't like that and I betcha there's more like me.

browsers:  IE (updated) & Firefox (updated)

2.5.8 source:  softpedia

I understand the economics of freeware in 2013.  It's one thing to bundle other software with this software, but it is quite another to not give users the option to not install this bundled software.  And then to make it worse, the update didn't even make the user aware that it was including other software.  I couldn't opt out of it, and I wasn't at all aware it was happening.  After uininstalling the TuneUp suite from the control panel, it was a headache afterwards.  I had to reboot twice and was still having a problem uninstalling it.  I'm still not certain I have it removed.  Then, the Bing-related toolbar (enrapture, encapture, or whatever it is called) and search engine wasn't easily removed, either.  After removing the tool bar, it was still integrated into my search engines.  I had to go into each browser in two places to remove it from operating and acting as the default.  On top of that, It had also replaced my home pages with the search engine page.  One small thing after another adding up to a real hassle.

I don't consider it whiny or complaining to at least request a warning that this extra software is included before installing, and it would be only common courtesy to give users the option to click out of installing it before installing the ImgBurn update.  I've never had this happen with any other update from any software, freeware or paid.  For instance, at least Adobe informs, and gives an option, if you want the Google toolbar installed as it is bundled with the reader.  McAfee antivirus is bundled all over the place, but it always gives the user the option to not also install it.  That's decency.

If ImgBurn is financially forced to partner with other software, at least make sure it isn't so intrusive and hassle-ridden.  You are the company you keep.  It doesn't speak well of ImgBurn to put users in this type of situation.  I've been using ImgBurn for years, and I've had no complaints whatsoever about it.  This was an ugly turn of events.

The simple thing would be to NOT have the Malware or bundles enabled by default, i.e. the checkboxes/tickboxes NOT TICKED, by default. But that is not the case and is deceitful. Or indeed don't have them at all and instead offer an honest business model whereby people pay for the software.

Edited by rjamesd

Long time, no logon :). Thanks to technology the last time I burned a disc was a few years ago, I have moved to harddisk storage and virtual drives. ImgBurn is still my number one burning and iso making program.

Also, it's obvious LUK is getting a little money to include this extra software, which is keeping ImgBurn free. Novice computer users don't know this and complain about it. I would rather keep a good program free by adding extra software for a fee.

And, thanks for the new version!

What's wrong with paying for software, it could be offered for a reasonable price. People need to be educated about this.

At somepoint JasonFriday there is a high chance that you are among many people here who would have had to part with some cash to be able to even type on this forum: your broadband connection, your PC, your Windows software, other software. And of course, as a user of ImgBurn, you are burning CDs, DVDs and/or Blu-rays aren't you? Hmmmm ooh let's think... hmmm now that blank media isn't free is it? Oh yeah, you buy it a shop don't you? Oh means means spending money doesn't it?  So if you can spend money on the blank media, then why is it a problem to pay the author of ImgBurn for his hard work? Rather than encourage the awful business model of bundling crapware into the installer.

Baffles me.

Why is it this way, why can't people get it into their heads...

Apparently, the new version of ImgBurn tries to install crapware during the upgrade. Some kind of toolbar, and some antivirus junk.

I used to recommend this software to everyone. It's a well thought-out burner, complex and powerful, yet with a no-nonsense interface. Great.

But installing crapware on users' computers during installation is a really, really lowly tactic. I used to think "I have a disc burner software, there's no need for me to look for an alternative". Well, you just made me think I probably should look for an alternative.

Have to agree sadly. I'd happily pay for ImgBurn for an-adware/malware/crapware free installer and to reward the author. And I can put my money where my mouth is as I've actually donated to ImgBurn, but still the stupid approach to the installer is continuing.

browsers:  IE (updated) & Firefox (updated)

2.5.8 source:  softpedia

I understand the economics of freeware in 2013.  It's one thing to bundle other software with this software, but it is quite another to not give users the option to not install this bundled software.  And then to make it worse, the update didn't even make the user aware that it was including other software.  I couldn't opt out of it, and I wasn't at all aware it was happening.  After uininstalling the TuneUp suite from the control panel, it was a headache afterwards.  I had to reboot twice and was still having a problem uninstalling it.  I'm still not certain I have it removed.  Then, the Bing-related toolbar (enrapture, encapture, or whatever it is called) and search engine wasn't easily removed, either.  After removing the tool bar, it was still integrated into my search engines.  I had to go into each browser in two places to remove it from operating and acting as the default.  On top of that, It had also replaced my home pages with the search engine page.  One small thing after another adding up to a real hassle.

I don't consider it whiny or complaining to at least request a warning that this extra software is included before installing, and it would be only common courtesy to give users the option to click out of installing it before installing the ImgBurn update.  I've never had this happen with any other update from any software, freeware or paid.  For instance, at least Adobe informs, and gives an option, if you want the Google toolbar installed as it is bundled with the reader.  McAfee antivirus is bundled all over the place, but it always gives the user the option to not also install it.  That's decency.

If ImgBurn is financially forced to partner with other software, at least make sure it isn't so intrusive and hassle-ridden.  You are the company you keep.  It doesn't speak well of ImgBurn to put users in this type of situation.  I've been using ImgBurn for years, and I've had no complaints whatsoever about it.  This was an ugly turn of events.

Agree. See my other comments on this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed MBAM to check my PC for threats and it found one in the file I least expected - ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 - Setup.exe (I renamed it when I downloaded it on April 2015). :o I'm sure there is no crap in it because I use ImgBurn for quite some time and never had any problems caused by the program but I find it disturbing that many AV programs detect it as a threat called "Open Candy". I even uploaded it to VirusTotal and the detection rate is 24/58. That doesn't mean I'll stop using it.

https://www.virustotal.com/bg/file/a6f9126febec0e18e0b89268d4de877b4566ed1ac29ad51d6af1e3339c72618f/analysis/1497367525/

The funny thing is this detection appears only on the setup file. I just scanned the ImgBurn install folder and it found no threats.

Open Candy isn't a virus.  It's basically nagware that people got so fed up with, AV vendors started flagging it as a PUP, Potentially Unwanted Program.  It just phones home to a server and asks you if you want to install a bunch of extra free crapware you don't want.  It's only contained in older versions of the installer.  I believe it has been removed since there are no more Open Candy servers in use, I think.

• 11 months later...

I'd love to see a statement from lightning UK backing up your claim. Oh wait, you're not going to find one, because he never said it was dead. Just because something hasn't been updated in a while doesn't mean it stops working.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I don't agree with that statement at all.

Yes, optical discs in general are used less and less these days... but what difference does that make? ImgBurn is a disc burning program. New technology doesn't change what the program is designed for.

So long as optical discs are being used, ImgBurn will be a viable option.

Obviously it doesn't just do CD, it does DVD, BD, BDXL etc too. BDXL is very much 'current tech' within the optical disc field.

• 9 months later...
On 5/22/2018 at 1:05 PM, Ch3vr0n said:

Just because something hasn't been updated in a while doesn't mean it stops working.

Just because you responded like that, doesn't mean I ever said that. :D

On 5/22/2018 at 2:07 PM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

I don't agree with that statement at all.

Yes, optical discs in general are used less and less these days... but what difference does that make? ImgBurn is a disc burning program. New technology doesn't change what the program is designed for.

So long as optical discs are being used, ImgBurn will be a viable option.

Obviously it doesn't just do CD, it does DVD, BD, BDXL etc too. BDXL is very much 'current tech' within the optical disc field.

You just keep at it, man. :headbanging:

You found your calling.

Edited by whocareswhoami

• 5 months later...

Norton AV detects this as malware or potential malware (according to heuristics). Can you developers please add code to it to help hide it from Norton to make Norton not detect it. I know it's legit software, so can you please do something to stop these false positive AV detections?

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2015 at 12:23 AM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

No, it's not dead. I'm just a bit busy with other things and the current release is working fine.

Five years have passed since this post and there have been no updates.
Should we consider this project as definitively abandoned?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.